TRUMPET BLOWING and ENCOURAGEMENT



 TRUMPET BLOWING 

and 

ENCOURAGEMENT




People are often understandably nervous about attending comedy classes. Doing something new is nerve wracking. We worry that we won’t be any good and will look foolish. Despite being an actor, I dreaded giving presentations in my twenties. I hid behind a costume, character, with the stage lights on. Learning comedy and clown skills resulted in me becoming humorous, articulate - confident. 

Over the years of teaching I have encouraged and supported people to develop and enhance their performance, writing and comedy skills. I insist they don’t need to be funny because the techniques are taught in the session. The initial intention is to share a point of view and feel happy just to stand up and chat – and from that, people build their confidence and comedy skills.

Last Saturday, a woman came to my morning workshop at Exeter's Barnfield Theatre. It was a short workshop for beginners or comedians who wanted to generate jokes and create material.

Four were due to attend but unfortunately only one made it on the day. I nearly cancelled but chose not to. And I’m glad I did not.


I met a wonderful new student; this is her response to one of my feedback questions:
What did you like about the class? ‘Everything. Encouragement, great boost to confidence. Feel I can give it a go.’

Further to these kind and positive comments, I received a nice surprise: a follow up letter, which I am so excited to share with you...

Hi Maggie
Just to say a huge thank you for this morning. When it was only me, I almost panicked, hoping you'd decide to cancel. I'm so glad you didn't. I've come away, my mind buzzing with ideas. Please please keep me informed of other classes, especially if they are in Exeter city centre.
Have a great weekend. I found you a wonderful, warm, lovely woman (funny too) and wish you every happiness.
Yours
Linda Lewis  

Here is some more feedback from my recent six-week run of classes - equally full of surprises and accomplishments: 

Massive confidence boost - best feeling in the world to be on stage. Public speaking has improved as a result too. Kristian
Lovely Maggie! Makes you feel really comfortable. Good group, great growth and improvement. Nick
Space to bring-out sillier side of life. Gave me a different frame to view the world from. Kes
It’s made me try something outside of my comfort zone – I’ve enjoyed it more than I ever thought possible. Gayle
Liked everything…courage to use my ‘stuff’ as content. Shakti

I just wanted to share my thoughts with you all and some of the comments of others, highlighting how every opportunity – even those that scare us, can provide us with new waves of creativity, confidence and add a depth to our everyday lives that perhaps we may not have chosen to explore.

Be bold, brave and brilliant,

All the best, Maggie

Popular Posts