The Queen had "Brilliant Comic Timing..."

 


The end of an era...

(Meet Maggington Bear - very badly edited on a phone - but an ode, none-the-less)



When I was 7 or 8, I used to think that Her Majesty The Queen might visit our humble house. It was something to do with my mum insisting that the front parlour – our Victorian kitchen – be kept clean and tidy, in case we had visitors. Rather ridiculous to assume The Queen may knock at my front door, but I was young, with a super-size imagination, which actually hasn't faded...

(To be honest, I also thought Paddington Bear might drop by at some point…)

Has anyone famous ever just dropped by at your house?


I shed a few tears when I heard the news that she had died. The end of an era.

A great smile, practical joker and a ready wit were qualities I admired, in abundance. I especially remember her meeting James Bond; jumping from a chopper at the Olympics (body-double of course), and the more recent tea and marmalade sketch with Paddington Bear, said to be ‘A brilliantly timed comic performance’ by writer Frank Cottrell-Boyce.

He co-wrote two of her most iconic on-screen cameos – including the 2012 Olympics opening ceremony with Daniel Craig, and stated “She’s absolutely glowing in that moment.”

Adding positive doses of humour to our lives to improve the quality for ourselves and others is often highly impactful. May YOU ALL continue to create many memorable moments.

And share tea and marmalade with Paddington Bear.

Rest in peace Ma'am.
.
.
.
.

As usual, big thanks and love from Maggie and the Comedy Matters team :)



***

Tues 27 SEP: 6 week stand up comedy course. In-person at the Cellar Bar, City Gate Hotel, Exeter

Stand Up - Intensive 6 week course



and finally - 2023 workshops:

Jan 11

NEW! Feminist Clowning Course


Image Matt Austin

Jan 23

6 Week Stand up comedy course online



Comments

Popular Posts