How Many Hats Do You Wear?

 


How many hats do you wear?

I wear hats – and they are all different:


Supportive and tolerated :) daughter
Doting and supportive ma.
Supportive and encouraging University lecturer
Gurning clown teacher
Humorous and supportive comedy writing teacher
Avant garde clown performer
Committed committee member: Exmouth Chamber of Commerce, Exmouth Pride, Exmouth town transition
Air BnB Hostess-with-the-Mostess
Part time street cleaner (seagulls and bin bags)
Lewd grinder/hip-wiggler whilst on Zoom (sorry neighbours opposite)


My ‘at home’ hat is the cleaner and makes me and my house sparkle - like the Dom Perignon on a Friday evening, (actually it’s pauper’s champagne  - Prosecco.)

We're busy! We hustle from one commitment straight to the next - changing our hats to fit the role. (Just think back to the perils of scarecrow, Worzel Gummidge who often had to change his 'head' to fit in)  Attempting to keep all your hats in order and not mixing them up is challenging - exhausting even.  

And that's where the LAUGHTER HAT is most needed!


@jeshoots

Sometimes, when I feel a tad tired – as exhausted as my vacuum cleaner – I have to remind myself of the power of laughter. When I teach, it energises me because of the endorphins laughter produces. Laughing, literally cleanses away the need to a granny-nap. (I’m still guiltily laughing about my mum having 40 winks after I helped dance all her hats out of her the last time I saw her – oops).

Each of these hats require effort, concentration and discipline. I realised the other day, after a conversation about being so tired all the time, that maybe the wearing of hats is the problem. And then it occurred to me that there is one hat which has ‘special powers’. The Laughter Hat... The Clown Hat!

April fool’s day is coming up, a day when we playfully mark the chance to trick each other - or act the fool to create deliberate laughter.


Dare to Clown is open to all 18+ and is a chance to wear a hat that supports freedom from social norms and a chance to choose which hat to wear – the hat that will best energise you. 01 April 9.30am – 3.30pm

It’s a chance for people to maybe make fun of social norms, authority – daring to be imaginative, uber creative and generate much needed doses of laughter. This one day workshop gives you a taste of clowning. It's safe, but like anything new, there's a feeling of risk. That's normal.


No doubt there will be some serious clowning.





Teaching Is my passion and I love seeing people take chances and develop skills in creating comedy and developing a comedy persona with a hat that helps them stand and deliver.

See below and pick a hat :)


Feminist Clown Course 19 April at 7 -9pm (limited amount of discounted tickets for low income but keen to attend - see booking link on Eventbrite)

Pi Singles “To Wit To Woo? Comedy Class” Evening – hosted by Maggie. Book Here 01 April at 7.30pm

West Country Women+ event is nearly here. It’s FREE and a great opportunity to have a girls-night-in. 31 March at 7.30 - 8.30pm

New 6 week online writing/performing course (please note that if you have attended one of these courses before you will be eligible for a 15% discount code by emailing me at magsirving@gmail.com) – starts 20 April
 


Comments

Popular Posts