Risks - rewards and rides...

 The Threshold between Fun and Danger


Photo by Happening London on Unsplash


I hadn’t been on a Waltzer for 30 years…


And then, there it was - the gentle undulating ride with moments of speedy spinning - that was my memory of this fairground ride. And so I thought I would relive being 14 and climbed on a ride at The Devon County Show.

I calculated it would be nostalgic and fun.

And it was - for the first 45 seconds.

And then it turned into blind panic, a heavy-duty dose of adrenaline that looked as though it would require a nappy change once it had ended.

Think of any high octane car chase in a Jason Statham/James Bond movie. Think of the dinosaurs chasing after park keepers and tourists in Jurassic Park. Or worse, any ‘chase’ in any horror film.

My experience was tenfold… Waltzer’s are NOT as ‘undulating’ as I remember!

Well, I survived, but I did end up in A&E when my rather delicate heart decided it was still on the ride.

The thing is - we sometimes choose to do things that are within our comfort zone. Mine does not include speed. But then again, for some people, standing up and being funny is scarier and riskier than a heart stopping, adrenaline spiking, nausea inducing fairground ride.

And sometimes we choose to do those things which take us far away from our comfort zones...

I think I can help people with vulnerability ‘risks’ around comedy writing/performing, but no amount of high speed car rides will ever kill off the fear of speed!

Have you ever done something when the fear over took the pleasure? Or the reverse; facing fear head-on knowing you would also need a nappy change? 


For something highly pleasurable - there is a women only feminist clown meet up/workshop on Monday.


See you there, and have a great week.

As usual, thanks…

From Maggie and the Comedy Matters team :)


Comments

Popular Posts