Joker in the pack?



I’ve been away with mother this week...

Whisting!

Yes, playing cards with fellow whisters.

Whist is a fun, easy to learn trick-taking card game. The goal of this game is to win more tricks than your opponents. For me, it’s a tactical game of maths, calculations, responding to your partner, listening and watching and maintaining a sense of humour!

The game has rules that most of us know, which are there to keep us 'behaving'. But when someone plays who does not play by the rules at all - then chaos kicks off. And boy does it :)

And there’s grumbling in the room, pulled faces, sometimes strong advice metered out to the maverick player. I just start to giggle especially if I catch someone’s eye, and have to change it into a strange cough.

When has that happened to you - laughing at the wrong time?

As a clown, I don’t always abide by rules and sometimes mess up (usually accidentally). I manage to laugh at myself and make mirth out of the aberration.

It’s a healthy way to be.

The lady who keeps ‘messing up’ at whist is nearly 90 - I think it’s wonderful that she’s playing cards and if the rules are a little lax, then so be it. She is like the maverick Joker in a pack of cards, normally kept in the box - jokes on us?

I’ve won several times this week, so I am thankful I am playing with a full deck so to speak. Also thankful to spend a week with my mother, who is still a top whist player. Thanks Mum and Grandma for teaching me to play when I was just four years old.

To learn to fail but come out top trumps - join me on Saturday 26 March 10 - 4.30pm for a one day workshop at Exeter Phoenix.


Saturday the 26 March 10 - 4.30pm - a CHANCE to put clown to the test and explore freely, safely - and have fun!

See you there :)

Comments

Popular Posts