Beam me up Scotty!

 

ThisGuyFawkes: https://tenor.com/view/beam-me-up-scotty-gif-11313969



One size does not fit all...

...and that is okay 

 

Beam me up Scotty!

I have just had a wood burner fitted. So exciting! It's my Plan B in-case energy prices continue to rocket, and selling a kidney, liver and possibly some onions is required in order to pay the bills...

I know, it’s sunny outside now, but hopefully it will be put to good use on a cold autumnal evening. The beam arrived today; gorgeous looking - contemporary and rustic at the same time.  But sadly, whilst the pic below looks good, it’s girth (stop laughing - you know who you are...) is way out of proportion for the room size.

Sometimes, there is the right size and look for things, be it a bra or belly or a bathtub - and this is one of those times.

One size doesn’t fit all... comedy also needs to be tempered in a similar way.



Generally speaking, if jokes don’t work, it may well be because they aren’t relatable or relevant to the audience. When I bring humour into a secondary school classroom, it comes from an interaction with a pupil, whereby, s/he laughs and the class laughs.

My material doesn't always work with a bunch of fourteen year olds. And maybe it doesn't have to.
Having said that, when my sons were that age, their friends laughed at my antics; but that was because they knew me and the material was linked to say, rugby, drama or life - can’t provide an exact example, but it worked.

I will now contradict myself, if you can introduce something relatable at the start of the set - talk about your clothes, the room, the venue or the town - then your material could well work. The audience laughs. A connection is made - good old social glue - and away you go.

Come along and find out how to use humour in your work setting to improve wellness and confidence; enhance connections, and/or write a humorous elevator pitch that makes you memorable - for the right reasons and the 'right fit'. And don't worry about your material, together we will find your brand, style and tone of humour - your personal comedy toolkit to take away.

Or write a simply superb comedy set.

You will have everyone beaming.

As usual, big thanks and love from Maggie and the Comedy Matters team :)


***


COMING UP!

May 11 - 6 week ONLINE COMEDY COURSE


Stand Up / Clowning Workshops at Exeter's Phoenix:


 Saturday 25 June 2022, 10:00 - 4.30



Comments

Popular Posts