Fat FREE!




How did Burger King propose to his girlfriend?

Answer: With an onion ring... 

 

At 28, and married, I was a healthy weight. But very unfit. Astonishingly, I was gifted (no name…) Rosemary Conley’s Hip and Thigh Diet book! After this gob-smacking moment which led to a binge on carbs... I did follow the programme for 28 days. I lost weight. Became very fit. And decided I would always stay fit - as it made me feel marvelous.

Aiming for Julia Roberts but probably more like Helen of Troy’s Trojan Horse with my swim-fit thighs! 

Twenty plus years later, I discovered that sugar is bad for me – and so I took steps (leaps) to eliminate it. I also discovered that polyunsaturated fats: salmon and avocados, and monounsaturated fats: pecan pie (joke - peanut butter) are good for me. I am nuts about nuts and use these to snack on when peckish. (Although I do not think three bags a day constitutes a snack!)  

Getting divorced, visiting a wellness retreat in Thailand, and becoming a clown, all influenced me stripping away years of conditioning associated with my body and mind, and how it should look according to social ‘norms’. Now I just enjoy food  whilst being mindful of its nutrition and benefits.

These three experiences were catalysts for change. 


It has been a supremely liberating journey but every now and again I am still haunted by Rosemary Conley and her lycra-clad-twiglets-for-legs. For example, yesterday I really fancied a scone; Exmouth's Book Rest - in my opinion - homebake the best cheese and fruit scones in the world. Whilst working from home, I toiled with the pros and cons of eating one, having not long returned from a spa week where I reset my body and mind. 

The scone won. And the clown spoke to me as I began to let negativity creep in: 'I keep trying to lose weight – but it keeps finding me'. The clown told me to shut my eyes while I ate it because then it wouldn't count!

Thanks for gifting me that book. I am now Fat FREE...

And no offence Rosemary, but you can keep your Twiglets! As usual - have a great week from Maggie and the Comedy Matters team - stay well and enjoy the sunshine. And a scone if you fancy one!

***


COMING UP!

May 11 - 6 week ONLINE COMEDY COURSE


Stand Up / Clowning Workshops at Exeter's Phoenix:


 Saturday 25 June 2022, 10:00 - 4.30
AND
Saturday 10 September 2022, 10:00 - 4.30



 

Comments

Popular Posts