What's my name...

 

So who am I?




Bringing some sunshine - as if we needed more - to last weekend's Exeter Quay performance with Promenade Promotions.
 
Sedusa Medusa – who? When you’re a clown and don’t look like a recognisable clown, it’s confusing. Still, I don’t let this stop me from clowning and more especially encouraging people to be a bit silly, clown even.
 
Whilst titivating my wired and woolly snakes in my ‘cave' (see pic), I smiled, listening to the commentary coming from the audience and passers-by, about the title of the performance’: I don’t like clowns. What’s a Gorgon? Who is Medusa? What’s a Gorgon clown?
 
Confusion reigned, but the audience seemed to enjoy it, especially the seductive clowning.
 
It was a joy to perform again. It was fab to work alongside wonderful performers. But it has opened my eyes to the few tweaks required - definitely scarier, in parts. Oh no! NOT more scary clowns!

And my name Рwhat will I consider? What is necessary when toiling with foibles, boundaries, acceptability, appropriateness, aversions to anything too risqu̩, and of course, the evolution of terms, conditions and expectations? Particularly surrounding clowning.


After all it is about first meeting, and then thwarting expectations.

I’m off to the Clown Congress in Bristol on 29 August - a chance to revision clowning for the 21st century? Maybe terms for clowning can/should be explored by the clowning community. I will be able to both discuss and explore feminist clowning. I'm certainly looking forward to discussing how clowning is being perceived and re-imagined.

My feminist clowning course and an online stand up course are coming soon - see links below. 

If you want to explore the world of clowning from a new perspective, and/or the world of comedy, including stand up, join me online or in person for some tricks of the trade.

As usual, big thanks and love from Maggie and the Comedy Matters team :)



***

Stand Up / Clowning Workshop
at the Exeter Phoenix:


Saturday 10 September 2022, 10:00 - 4.30

***

And also our next online stand up comedy course: (BOOKING FAST!)

Starts Wed 7 Sep - 12 Oct 7 - 9pm


SEP 27: In-person at the Cellar Bar, City Gate Hotel, Exeter

Stand Up - Intensive 6 week course



and finally - 2023 workshops:

Jan 11

NEW! Feminist Clowning Course


Image Matt Austin

Jan 23

6 Week Stand up comedy course online




Paint image: Photo by David Pisnoy on Unsplash

Comments

Popular Posts