I'm all ears...

A corn farmer asked his field "are you listening?"

                  To which the field responded "I'm all ears" 


 

I am sponsoring this year's Exmouth 2021 Business Awards, the Young Entrepreneur of the year category.

Good luck to all the finalists, and good luck to my very own nominees – check them out and see how you can support them:

Young Entrepreneur of the year

Visit Exmouth Chamber of Commerce for further updates



All winners to be announced on June 11th. Watch this space: #ECBA2021

In a recent Exmouth Journal article on the awards, it correctly states that I run ‘workshops designed to build creativity and confidence’, this is so true, and such an important factor – it’s one major reason that I do what I do.

I comment about “how exciting and challenging it is to start up in business”, and how thrilled I am “to support young people in their endeavours and help them achieve the recognition and support they need” – because it can be tough out there - and we all need a good sense of humour, especially now. Having the opportunity to support in this way reminds me of how I felt as a child at school, and having my confidence sometimes undermined by the usual ‘Margaret – be quiet; stop talking!’

I don’t talk that much, do I?

Well, yes I do. What nobody back then understood was that I was also listening with great intent, and often when asked to repeat what had just been said – I could recite-back perfectly. What I have gained from this experience is a desire to always be aware of how much I listen to others in relation to how much I talk, and it’s a technique I use in my teaching to aide ‘connection’ with audience.

 


Listening is a two way function of really healthy communication – it’s a skill that we often apply without realising we are doing it. (Until someone tells us off – “Margaret!”) And it’s another major factor in why I love my work.

There is enormous value in listening and it is something which I am forever practicing as a teacher.

A couple of weeks ago was the performance night of my 6 week comedy course. I was bowled over by what my wonderful attendees came up with for their sets, what they were saying… their courage. But I was also struck by how much value the audience’s attention contributed to their final pieces.
 
Some exciting news soon - a new club; feminists...?

Have a great weekend to all.

Cheers, Maggie and the Comedy Matters team :)

Photos by kyle smith  and Franco Antonio Giovanella on Unsplash

 


Comments

Popular Posts