HRT anyone?

 

Photo by Sam Barber - Unsplash
Image: Sam Barber - Unsplash

 

Holiday  Rest  Time-out
 
Yes pleeeeease!  

Apparently there are several health benefits of taking a holiday; DECREASED BURNOUT benefit interests me at the moment because I'm always borderline with this one!

You may have heard of the Oxygen Mask Rule: "Secure your masks before assisting others." Meaning that in order to help others you must first look after yourself. 

It struck me last week, driving up the motorway (to a family wedding) - hot and sticky, tired and in a rush - absolutely tiddling down, (the M5 and M6 motorways looked like someone had let the bath water out!) that the previous few weeks where the sun has been glorious, I have been stuck in traffic or working, but also that the weather is/was/and seems to be as erratic and unpredictable as half the drivers on the road. Global warming... and a terrible lack of self care.


Harry Venning 2019

I thought back to a class I taught, where I asked participants to anthropomorphize an animal that could tell a humorous story highlighting the effects of global warming and the way in which these issues might affect it. I imagined what animal I might be, and whether or not Noah's Ark might be involved: a goat, dining al-fresco in the mountains of the Lake District; a sandbank seal basking in the sun - or a butterfly just bobbing in the summer thermals.

In reality, I am more like a cat on a hot brick (a really jumpy cat and a searing-hot brick 😹). And I'm a little older than I used to be 😉; I need holidays and rest and time-out more than ever. I may bask on some sandy banks if the fine weather continues... please don't phone Greenpeace to chuck me back in. 😂 🐳

So now that some of us are in 'actual summer holiday' mode, I am keeping August free of teaching. Instead I will play, be creative, possibly entertain and schedule-in some rest to take that much needed time-out. September, everything will fire up again, so see if any of the classes below take your fancy.


What do you plan on doing in order to get some much needed HRT? Or what animal would you like to embody? Let us know...

We'll be looking at animals, the environment and humour in our next run of workshops/classes in Sept.


From Maggie and the Comedy Matters team :)



NEW! Comedy and Clowning Course: Craft & Gig



8 Week Feminist Clowning Course: 
Morning
or
Evening




NEW! IN-PERSON Feminist Clowning and Comedy Workshop at the Exeter Phoenix

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts