It's all in the detail...

 

How would you describe...




People come to my classes from all over the world – online and in person. Just lately, I have had comedians from Canada, USA, Greece, Holland, Denmark and the North (where I’m from), which immediately got me researching facts and quirks about some of these countries – there might be comedy material. (There is potential comedy everywhere.)
 
I like people to research a topic – find out all the intricate details so they can exaggerate and play around with ‘facts’ to generate comedy gold.
 
Here’s some blurb on Holland.
 
Besides being famously and stereo-typically known for bikes, flowers, low sea levels, chilled out behaviour (wink) and tall men, they are responsible for carrots becoming orange – a bit of selective breeding – well in terms of carrots. If I was performing, I’d produce a very long, bright orange carrot and improvise with it. I’d probably extrapolate on who was behind the orange trend (a certain person is known for being VERY ‘orange') – you get my drift.

I urge people to become an expert, and take notice of what is going on. It makes for interesting listening and hopefully laughs; the imagery of stories and the link to either audience or comedian enlivens the material. I would obviously need to edit the Holland material, but it gives you an idea of why knowing your subject can be transformed so easily into comedy material.

What topic would you research? 

 
On that note, if you’d like to give it go,
 I look forward to exploring ‘detail’ and how to deliver some comedy gold at the next round of workshops in December and the New Year – see links in the usual place.
 
If you need a blast of humour in December, join me online on 28 December. Or gift a comedy class to someone, including you.


Early bird bookings available NOW for next year’s courses.
 
As usual, big thanks and love from Maggie and the Comedy Matters team :)


***
TWIXMAS Stand Up Comedy Class 28 December 2022




and finally - 2023 workshops:

***

NEW YEAR! Stand Up Comedy Course Starts Tues January 24th



***
Online Stand Up Comedy Course Wed January 25th



Photo by Armando Arauz on Unsplash

Comments

Popular Posts