Messages of Mirth and Traditions

                        Messages of Mirth...


For many, the coming festivities is centered around tradition:

Comedy Matters News: December 2020


The Comedy Matters STAR Team Propose:

COMEDY GOLD, COMMON SENSE - and MIRTH!



 Hello everyone - and a very HAPPY Christmas EVE!


First, I'd like to share with you one of my favourite Christmas cracker jokes, and why (although usually dire), I love the tradition of comedy - MIRTH - at this time of year:

Q: What do you call a three-legged donkey?
A: WONKY! 

When I was growing up, every Christmas there was a stocking on the end of the bed; inside, were nuts, a satsuma and Quality Streets, and these were covered with 2-3 gifts. They were a taster of the day to come - although I now think, more likely a bribe to keep me and my brother tucked up in our beds longer! 

The 'stocking' was a woolly hiking sock, and I have replicated this activity for my own children...
 
They are 24 and 25! 

And now I can’t prise them out of bed.

Christmas has such prominent and recognisable traditions - all because a baby was born ;)

Just imagine if Mary had received what she had actually needed on Christmas Day: Ibuprofen, hot towels, chocolate - a hotel booking 6-months-prior to December 25th?

I can’t help wondering if the Three Wise Men were in fact clowns, and perhaps the one who brought Myrrh actually got it wrong, or it had been misspelled, and he should have actually brought MIRTH, instead!
Perhaps Mary wanted COMMON SENSE instead of Frankincense - and COMEDY GOLD instead of a lump of metal.

It's possible that due to being stuck in a drafty barn that reeked of donkey-dung, a joke or two would have been a relief, a distraction - an alternative to gas and air!

And so began an annual ritual/celebration...

I have never been alone on Christmas morning, however I have been during the afternoon and evening. I can appreciate that although traditions are great and an important part of our cultural memory and family bonds, that there are some who are alone during the holidays.  So I'm going to carry on saying hello to everyone I see out and about, maybe even make some mirth if I'm stuck in a Primark queue for long enough ... and make reaching out through a smile a NEW tradition that uses comedy to create community... 

A heartfelt thanks to all the people who have attended my comedy courses and workshops as well as one2one sessions; I could not have done it, had so much fun and laughed like a wonky donkey - without you!

Thanks also to Dave Spathaky for making it possible for me to meet so many other women around the world who clown. 

Also, a big thank you to all the people in the Funny Women community who  came to my classroom and online workshops as well as my one2one sessions.

I hope to see some of you next year!

And finally...

NEXT WEEK:

I will be revealing a new, exciting and innovative venture - coming your way in 2021!


 

If you're looking to start 2021 with perspectives anew and LAUGH YOUR HEAD OFF...
Why not come and join me for one of my January classes - see below.


 


Six week online comedy course: Jan-Feb 2021

About this Event

Monday 11 January - Monday 15 February 7.30 - 9.30pm

About this Event

For people who want to explore how humour is generated & performed, and how it can help improve confidence and performance skills for professional and personal use.

AND FOR WOMEN ONLY:

Online Women's Clowning, Performing and Writing Comedy Workshop

About this Event

Sat 16 January, 10am - 4.30pm

Clowning/comedy performing/writing workshop that focuses on persona and punchlines.

Who is it for? For beginners and improvers who want to explore and develop their comedy persona, voice and material

What makes something funny and how do we write it? Questions that will be answered, along with many more in this one day workshop, whilst building comedy confidence.

 

As usual, thank you to all, for support... 2020 is nearly gone - and you've all been fab!


Comments

Popular Posts