You've Got To Laugh! Does Humour Help Mental Health?

You've Got To Laugh!

Does Humour Help Mental Health?


The short answer is... USUALLY! It definitely can. It's a fantastic platform for people to express themselves when ordinarily they wouldn't! 

We all want and need to laugh...
 
Laughter can often be the best medicine!


 Hello everyone!   


According to well-being site
 HelpGuidecomedy can be much 'more than just a respite from sadness and pain, laughter gives you the courage and strength to find new sources of meaning and hope.'

And I have to agree. As we stroll (run the heck out) of 2020 and towards a New Year, reaching out to my local community has more than confirmed how people are flipping difficult situations into comic material that gives mindful, helpful, and healthy new perspectives - more the case of 'what have you got - what can do you, instead of what haven't I got - what can't I achieve?' 

One of the enormous joys I get from teaching is when I am able to facilitate the space and time to be a part of others' journeys.

With permission, Bryn, from my latest online comedy course shared some thoughts of his experience with me.

'I have really enjoyed taking part and watching the others, I’ll miss having classes every week - it’s my outlet for creativity. I’ll keep jotting down things and recording little videos. Having people at work noticing a difference is great - one comment in particular stands out from a colleague: “I wish I could make so many people laugh so quickly like you can. How do you do that?”

My parents (especially my mum) have said similar things as well lately. Doing both sets of your classes has really helped with that - I definitely believe in myself more than beforehand.'


If you'd like to discover more about Bryn's own journey, explore what benefits there are between using comedy for mental wealth, and what this means to others, you can listen to this fantastic PODCAST from Recovery Devon (A community interest company who support recovery and well-being, and promote radical change in mental health attitudes and provision). - enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts