Platforms...

 


A little room to grow?

New shoes anyone? It is a new school term in England. I guess lots of pupils will have shiny new footwear. 

(Who remembers getting their shoes fitted at Clarks; toes poked and prodded to make sure they would 'last' the school year?)

Back in the late 1970s, I recall wearing a brand-new pair of walnut brown, platform shoes with a wide strap across the top. Some girls got to wear what I called brick walls – the platforms were eye wateringly high and lethal. It was one of those rare occasions that I felt in fashion. I adored them and wore them until the sides split (I stuffed them with newspaper) and water leaked in from the soles. (I wrapped Sellotape around the bottom. Clown). The follow up pair were sensible hickory-coloured loafers. Yuk.

I often wore my sister’s and older cousin’s hand-me-down clothes and so constantly felt a bit behind the times. When one friend at primary school mocked my below the knee, fully pleated grey skirt, I boldly retorted, “Well my mum says they are coming back in fashion!” They never did. She was ahead on recycling!

It was some years later that another close cousin said that she always felt I was shabby chic, which was meant as a compliment. Thank you - you know who you are.

Being who you want to be is always in flux; it can change from morning to night, day to day or alter over a period of time. The beauty of performance is that we can step into the shoes of others and enjoy the time of empathising and becoming another, platforms, loafers, clogs. Do you have a favourite pair?

I rather like shoes now – especially ones that stand out. Show off? Maybe… the photo is me as Agnetha from ABBA at Exmouth's annual News Years Eve "carnival" - a transformative time when people can choose to be who they want to be. I Had a Dream, When All Is Said and Done, that I wanted to be a Super Trouper Dancing Queen; and strutting in my blonde wig and crippling platform boots. And I was and I did!

Shoes are a way of becoming something other or a mode of self-expression. If you ever fancy stepping into some clown shoes, let me know, I can help.

Find out more? You know the score  ⬇️

As usual, thanks to all…

From Maggie and the Comedy Matters team :)



NEW! Comedy and Clowning Course: Craft & Gig Tonight at 7pm so book quickly!



NEW! IN-PERSON Women's Clowning and Comedy Workshop at the Exeter Phoenix



Feminist Clowning Club 

Comments

Popular Posts