Smokin'

 




It’s sun-shining again!


And I am hot as Hell’s fire; cooking on gas and rip-roaringly molten in bed - which is a menopausal thing... 

Research reveals that a woman's body gradually produces less and less oestrogen during 'the change', which then increases the risk of the coronary arteries narrowing; this suggests that some menopausal women may be susceptible to circulatory problems - is this why I am hot in bed? (The hot flushes too, haha) 

Why am I burbling on about being hot, and hearts and menopause I hear you ask?

Because that was me - I am absolutely fine (so please do not worry), but yesterday I was very well looked after by the wonderful NHS having my chest pain checked out; ECG, BP, TLC and a hospital cheese sandwich. It turned out that my discomfort was an oesophageal spasm - they think. Hmm, not funny at the time (as with any of our plights), but I am sure that this will shortly be flipped into a story packed with wry humour! Writing / performing with the body.

In my comedy writing and clowning classes the focus on personal stories and material revealed by women is often markedly different than a fella’s stories - though not always. Both share heart ache and pain, job interview disasters, comment on poor government etc. I do encourage women to write with their bodies - to be open and expressive, which in turn supports other women to be inspired. 

Women are / have felt embarrassed and ashamed about their bodies and its functions, but this is changing, slowly. 

I am fine with my body now apart from odd squeaks, spasms, nail biting habit and tight calves. When I was a teenager, I was mortifyingly embarrassed by menses and any talk of such events - I was brought up in a society where we (girls) were told to keep quiet. Now I choose not to talk about these events because I have shifted into a new chapter of acceptance and liberty, whereby my internal Gas Mark 8 can dry washing in my bedroom by morning - which is absolutely fine by me! Not! I actually do hate feeling as hot as a furnace in bed, but I love being on fire in the classroom or on stage.



Drop me a line or follow the links below if you would like to write with your body; own your space; douse the flames - or ignite them!

As usual, thanks to all…

From Maggie and the Comedy Matters team :)




Feminist Clowning Club Workshop Online Monday 18 October 

NEW! Women's Clowning & Comedy Workshop at Exeter Phoenix Sunday 10 October

OUR NEXT 6 Week Comedy Writing Course: Weekly Craft + Gig


Comments

Popular Posts