You ain't seen me - right?!

 


Hiding Away?


I occasionally find myself creeping around my own house. And it’s all because I have regular AirBnB guests. They often express how quiet the house is (DO NOT LAUGH!), and it’s l because I am on my tippy toes negotiating creaky floor boards, shushing the toilet flush, breathing so quietly you would assume I was on a solo diamond heist before Tom Cruise rocked up…


I view this as kind of mask-wearing, because, if you know me well you will understand how excruciating being this quiet actually is for me, but it's an essential mask for the service I am providing which is a peaceful stay.

Isn’t it funny how sometimes we do put on masks or alter our behaviour for an effect? Even in our own houses.

I mentioned this to a friend the other day and we got onto the subject of how we take comedy from our own experiences. Very quickly the conversation ‘turned’, and innuendos got VERY creative when I mentioned I was getting my new kitchen/dining room door (well) hung by a joiner.


And just like that, we had entered the process of natural crafting and the comedy wrote itself. Punch lines that would make your eyes water. (Or not)

Comedians and clowns often create masks to support their act. It can help them to be vulnerable and open; to speak the unspeakable. Creating the right circumstances and 'permissions' for people to be playful and express themselves, physically and verbally is important in all of my classes. 

CLOWNING is an art form with a particular set of skills and a way of behaving thinking and responding. Often for women it's an opportunity to be naughty, mischievous, grotesque and fabulously ridiculous. In fact, some may be surprised to find out it’s much more nuanced and a highly-regarded comedy genre.

Find out more? You know the score  ⬇️

As usual, thanks to all…

From Maggie and the Comedy Matters team :)



NEW! Comedy and Clowning Course: Craft & Gig



NEW! IN-PERSON Feminist Clowning and Comedy Workshop at the Exeter Phoenix



Feminist Clowning Club 

Comments

Popular Posts