Bonds, boundaries and butts...

 


I say, I say, I say... 

I was asked the other day about boundaries – what comedians should or shouldn’t say. It’s a very good question; humour can and should be celebrated as part of being human, but of course moral ethics, time/place, and, appropriateness will always dictate how humour is received and perceived and more importantly - how the humour may affect those around us. Some say you can say anything. Some say, you should think: who is the butt of the joke?

Plenty say, punch up.

What do you say?

I say, I say, I say did you hear about the comedian who couldn’t create comedy?

They died on stage.
 
On The History of Comedy, Tuesday (Sky Arts Comedy) comedians discussed comedians, who have died, and how the connections with their audience magnify the loss. For years, I have been discussing the value of vulnerability and openness in comedy, leadership, talks and more, and this programme championed these aspects in relation to becoming a great comedian.


 

If you’re interested in comedy it was worth a watch. A laugh. A cry... maybe not the vat of viewing-companion-gin I... um... someone glugged ;)
 
Need feedback on your set in Edinburgh? Like to learn comedy for your job; well-being; business; love life, or more? Let me know:
 
Opening up is essential in clowning – as are learning a whole raft of tips and tricks – including purposely and humorously dying on stage! Come and find the other parts of YOU on Saturday 25 June in sunny Exeter, for a great day of play, clowning and a helping of stand up at the fab venue Exeter Phoenix.

All other upcoming events below - see you there...

"Had no expectations – just wanted to feel creative. Really enjoyed it – learned lots about techniques and also how to apply fun!! Longer workshop?"

"Fantastic opportunity to ‘un-box yourself’ – a joy to part of."

As usual, big thanks and love from Maggie and the Comedy Matters team :)

***

Starting in JUNE...

Stand Up / Clowning Workshops
at the Exeter Phoenix:

 

 Saturday 25 June 2022, 10:00 - 4.30
AND
Saturday 10 September 2022, 10:00 - 4.30


***

I'm also running a workshop at Penzance Lit Fest 1 - 4pm - Come along - I'd love to see you.

Penzance Literary Festival 8 July

***

And also our next online stand up comedy course:

Starts Wed 7 Sep - 12 Oct 7 - 9pm

 


Comments

Popular Posts